Our International Baccalaureate MYP Middle School Program
In the Fall of 2020, EBI will be expanding its International Baccalaureate MYP Middle School Program to accept incoming 6th and 7th graders with limited to no prior Spanish experience. Students with demonstrated strength in academics and a curiosity of language and culture will have access to an academically rigorous, international education that inspires them to engage with a changing world.
Language is where we start to think about creating connections with the people and the world around us. Learning in another language gives students a unique and powerful opportunity to develop their brain to the highest potential. We know that our students are going to graduate and be all over the world so we want to prepare them for that inevitability, for that future!
The international track is strategically designed for students who have limited or no prior experience with Spanish but have a demonstrated strength in academics and a curiosity for language and culture.
The International Baccalaureate is the basis for the curriculum at EBI. The curriculum is structured for students to study subjects in Spanish as a cohort for 25% of their time and join the balance of students in the regular Middle Years Programme for subject taught in English. EBI is the only Spanish/English bilingual International Baccalaureate school in Northern California. Click here to learn about the IB.
Students in the international track will attend 6 accelerated Spanish language classes a week. Additionally, they will attend physical education and art as an immersion experience in Spanish. As students language skills progress, they may be eligible to take additional courses in Spanish starting in the 7th grade. All students consistently study English-speaking subjects together.
The EBI Middle School Experience
We offer our middle school students an exemplary education and a dynamic, diverse community in which to thrive. We teach the whole person, and inspire our students to excel in life. At EBI, your child will receive:
- The IB MYP is based on the highest international academic standards.
- The IB is widely recognized around the world for preparing students to succeed in high school and college.
- Our students study ten subject areas that include Drama and Design, Math, Science, Spanish, English and Mandarin.
EBI supports their students through the entire high school application process from essay writing to interview preparation.
- Our students have time dedicated to building their organizational, collaboration and conflict-resolution skills in their advisory class.
- Our Design class fosters creativity and innovation through the use of technology and other tools including 3D Printers, video production, programming and robotics.
Our students develop advanced language skills through the study of literature and complex concepts embedded in our middle school curriculum.
From sports to dances, middle school students at EBI have access to a range of programs that help them expand their social network and strengthen their personal interests. These extracurricular activities include:
- Student Council
- Design Club
- Debate Team
- Track and Field
- Cross Country
- Volleyball Basketball
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Girls Who Code
- SAGA (Sexuality and Gender Alliance)
- School Dances
- 6th and 7th Grade Class Trips
- 8th Grade International Trip